Thursday, March 31, 2011

Yesterday Rory had her 18 month checkup. Don't you worry, I have all her stats handy so you can cheer on our big girl!

She weighed 27 lbs putting her in the 83 percentile for her weight. (Please note that Max weighs 31 lbs, so there is less than a 5 lb difference between the two. No more fighting over who gets to carry Rory I guess!) She was 2' 10" putting her in the 99 percentile for her height and 19" for her head which means she was in the 96 percentile for that brain mass. Big, smart and most importantly - HEALTHY!

We didn't meet with our pediatrician this time as our pediatrician is on vacation, so we saw another woman we've seen before for various illnesses. I wish we hadn't. She was extremely rude to me about my alternate immunization schedule. Her main concern was the measles outbreak in Minneapolis and by outbreak, we are talking only 6 children at this time who are mostly from one ethnicity. So I left there a bit hurt and returned home to do some research myself along with some long conversations with Dusty and Becca, thanks!

I'm convinced that had we met with our pediatrician who helped us put together our alternate schedule, she would have expressed her concerns about the outbreak in Minneapolis and I would have had Rory get the MMR shot while we were there. Instead I left upset and feeling attacked which sucks. At least it lead me to do some research, which I hadn't done since we worked out our initial schedule back when Max was an infant (and for the record, he was completely caught up to everyone else his age by 2.5 years old) and I feel good about our decision. Now, I just have to make it through the shot this afternoon. I am really dreading it. I think we'll get some ice cream when it's all said and done. To calm the nerves of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment