Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Well I did it, I finally did it and booked myself a vacation for one on the beach!

*Necessary pause for whatever reaction you chose to have at this statement.* Ok, back to me people....

That's right, I'm going to be completely boring and take a long weekend, enjoy a hotel on a beach, and read books while lying in the sun. Not many people would understand the appeal of a solo vacation. Even I thought I'd never travel alone again after my semester abroad in Mexico. (Which was with a group, so while I didn't know anybody at the time I still wasn't really alone.) But then I had children, and a husband that is an avid sportsman which has him gone fishing and hunting every season it seems.

I love that my husband has hobbies he enjoys and that get him out of the house even if it usually leaves me home alone with two kids. I love that I have two beautiful children that are good at heart even if they do test my patience more times then I'd like. What I don't love is how little time I get to spend on myself, and when I do get time to myself I'm usually trying to cram in time to spend with someone I love and haven't seen in a while.

What does that all mean? That I get very little alone time. So this year, for my birthday, I will be doing just that, alone time. I've got the Harry Potter series and I plan to sit on the beach and reread the whole series from start to finish. See? I told you I was going to be boring.

Of course, the bonus to this solo vacation is that if I decide not to read the whole series, I don't have to, because I only have myself to answer to. I'm going to let myself decide what it wants to do. Well, as long as it entails sitting in the sand on the ocean. I mean, that's the best part after all!

And a side note to those I love that live far away and I have chosen not to visit on this expedition:
It's too cold over my birthday for me to visit you and to guarantee I can sit in my swimsuit in warm weather. I totally did the research on all the important areas before deciding on my local (which yes is not mentioned on purpose - some surprises can wait). Sorry San Diego, Boston, and Phoenix; I love you all dearly but February is a cold month to visit for swimsuit weather!

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome!!! Enjoy every minute of it. Especially the fact that you will be flying solo and not having to entertain toddlers on a flight :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you don't have friends in phoenix and I bet you're going to wish you had me there, because I wouldn't just let you read Harry Potter, I would act it out AND make sand diagrams.

    Don't worry, I'm already planning a fun filled weekend with Andrea.

    ReplyDelete