Friday, November 19, 2010

I'm an organizer, I know that has been stated and shown numerous times. I've been really excited to show you two projects we've done but haven't really found a way to fit it in, so today, I'm just making it fit in!

First, about 2 years ago now, we finished our basement. A huge undertaking that was made infinitely easier by the fact that A) my husband is amazing and quite the handyman and B) we know and love a lot of people in the trades so we were able to work out some amazing deals for the things we (Dusty) didn't know how to do. One project that I spent the majority of the time with though was our closet. I really wanted a walk in closet that would be able to hold most of our clothes since we had previously been living out of the two closets upstairs. This meant I needed a closet organization system, and as we all know, that isn't cheap. But I had Dusty! And Menards! 

Isn't it beautiful?

Oh and that gigantic mirror? Yeah, freecycle.org. You should really think about hitting it up. Uncle Randy made the frame for it so that was really cheap. Can you imagine how much that would have cost had I bought it? That was our finishing touch on the closet. It's complete now and I couldn't be more happy. Especially since I spent weeks figuring out the layout that would work and after all this time, we still have room to grow!

Once it felt complete? I had to move onto a new project. Our house originally had just a closet in the entryway and shortly after we moved in Dusty converted that small closet into a mudroom and laundry room. (It involved taking some room out of our garage, but it was a weird layout so it worked without affecting our ability to park both cars.) It worked really well for us, and then we had children. I wanted to be proactive and find a way to get all the kids clothes in spots that they can keep organized. So we made use out of an old coat rack and some old shelving from one of the closets. We also utilized the space behind our door to store out of season or rarely worn shoes.


Now Max and Rory have their own little area to place all their stuff!  

I have to show off the cute baskets I picked up at Lowes. I had to move the chalkboards which required needles, thread and a hot glue gun so they'd fit on the rack. After all that hard work how could I not show them off?


So if you were bored with this post I apologize, but I'm really proud of these. Plus then I get to brag about my husband since none of these would have been reality had it not been for his hard work. I may have done the planning but he certainly put in the time to make them reality!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both of those projects are GREAT!! Now when are you coming to Atlanta to help me with mine? I have some organization projects you'll just love!! AKA - what that really means is that my closets are a train wreck and need some serious help. You up for the challenge ;-)

    ReplyDelete