Wednesday, January 12, 2011

I leave for my solo vacation in a month and I am so totally excited. Now I'm looking for some advice. I haven't taken a weekend vacation, that required staying in a hotel for about 5 years now and I like to over think. Here are my question areas please pass on any advice or suggestions, let me know if you think my thought process is completely whack, whatever!
  1. Harry Potter: I have purchased and own the complete works of Harry Potter, in hard cover. This posses a dilemma as I would be required to pack all these books weighing me down and taking up precious space. Do I splurge and purchase the collection on a coworker's Kindle that she so graciously offered to lend me? It would cost a lot more then my hard cover collection since I purchased used, and my trip is already going to cost quite a bit. Or? Maybe you have an electronic reader with the collection already on it and want to borrow it to me for my trip? (I'd totally replace it in a heartbeat if anything went wrong, I just personally do not desire to own one as I rarely purchase books. I like the library.)


  2. Liquids: Airport security is no longer fun. I plan to have a carry on and check a bag because there is no way I'll be able to pack for the weekend in a carry on. I know me, it isn't doable. Do I just put all my liquid necessities in my packed bag and hope it doesn't get lost? I don't even know the regulations at this point so I do need to look into it more. Or I could save myself the hassle and just ship myself a package to the hotel with all my necessities so I know they're there and don't have to stress out about it. Do you have a better suggestion?


  3. Sunscreen: I don't have a lotion boy, how do I protect my back from getting sunburnt without completely hiding it from the sun and having a white back to the rest of my (hopefully) bronzed body? I've used spray sunscreen in the past and had horrible results but maybe it was my technique? Please have a good suggestion!
Those are my main concerns at this point. There are a couple others, like my transport and my laptop, that I need to figure out but they aren't so much dilemmas as me slacking on following up with people. So I'll get those figured out.

Thank you for your help. Anything is appreciated!

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up. I don't even put that much thought into when I'm traveling with two toddlers. Traveling alone would seem like a breeze at this point. For your first question, how many books do you anticipate being able to read while you're there? Will you even get through more than one book? Those things are HUGE! You probably don't need to bring the whole collection do you? Whether it's the actual book or the kindle, I'm guessing you will only need 1 or 2 books.

    For your second question, I would just pack in your suitcase. Is there anything not replaceable once you arrive at your destination should your luggage not arrive? Heck, I usually don't even pack shampoo and such and just use what is at the hotel.

    For number 3 I have no suggestions. I don't really burn that easily so it's never much of a concern to me.

    You shouldn't be stressing about this - it's supposed to be YOUR getaway to relax. So start relaxing now thinking and prepping for it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can answer your liquid question....

    All liquids and gels that are in carry on luggage must be in quantities of 3oz. or less. You are allowed one Quart size zip lock bag, and they must all fit into that bag. Anything else you will just have to do with out.

    It doesn't matter what airline you are flying with, as this is a standard rule at every airport.

    If you have more than what will fit in your bag, or the quantities are over 3oz each, and they search your bag, they will just make you throw it away.

    I'm going to Vegas at the end of Feb and am figuring out what I for sure need and what I can do with out for a week because of this rule. Hope that helps answer the question, although it probably isn't an idea situation for being gone more than a couple days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to add that target has a great selection of travel size products that are perfect for carry on luggage situations!

    ReplyDelete