Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It has been an interesting 24 hours. We've had 7 conversations with either Max's teacher or the administrator at the daycare, Max was sent home for a "cool off" period, and we've got a whole new plan in place to start the rest of the week off with.

We ended up taking Max home at lunch time for the rest of the day to give him a cool off period, and the administrator and his teacher had a meeting to get a plan into place. Their plan isn't focused on Max, it is focused on the classroom, as it is now obvious his teacher has lost control of the room. While he is definitely the lead "biter" there are other children biting (he was also bit yesterday) and there are certain children that seem to be getting bit more as they seem to be instigating problems. (No, I'm not blaming these children, they shouldn't be getting bit, but it helps to know there are certain children involved for it makes it easier to focus on a solution.)

I know I've mentioned this before, but I love that they have cameras in the classrooms! The administrator was able to go back and look at all the issues from yesterday and was able to confirm that Max was not just running across the room and biting a child for the heck of it, as we were described that morning, but that there was an issue that did occur before his biting incident happened.

At this point I'm still a little shell shocked as we had no idea the problem had escalated, and so fast, but I'm happy that we are now having an open conversation as we try to sort out all the "what-ifs" that are involved. In the last 3 weeks Max has gone from a classroom of 5 children and 1 adult to a classroom of 16 children and two adults. He has moved 3 different classrooms also during those 3 weeks as they did a remodel and restructuring of the rooms to accommodate additional children. His room size should shrink down at the start of school (Sept. 1) but it sounds like a good majority of the children that are involved in these incidents were all in the same boat and were bounced around in the last month, so hopefully their focus on the room will help out a lot.

To wrap up this post, I'd like to focus on something good. My goddaughter, Lyla, turned 2 last week and we celebrated her big milestone with a party of course! Here she is getting help from Mom and Dad and blowing out her birthday candle. Isn't she adorable?!


In the last 24 hours my world has been rocked and my trust has been shaken but I can honestly say that it has already made me a better Mom and a stronger advocate for my children. So while this situation sucks and I'd like it to be over with, I'm grateful that I can grow from the situation. It also helps to have so many friends and family reach out and offer their support and advice; along with a few laughs! Thank you!

1 comment: