Friday, June 4, 2010

My morning did not start out well. I haven't blogged about it because it wasn't all that interesting, but my hearing aids have gone from no big deal, to sucking up all my time. (OK, I'm slightly over exaggerating here.)

Two weeks after getting my hearing aids I went in for a follow up appointment and mentioned that the ear buds wouldn't stay in my ear canal. The audiologist took a look and told me that I'm going to need custom made ear buds. Well that sounded pretty cool, I figured it would make them even less noticeable as it would keep the ear buds in which would keep the tubes from sticking out further from my ears. She proceeds to put a putty like substance into my ear to make the mold to send off to the hearing aid place for my buds. It was a pretty cool experience, I was pretty much deaf with the putty in my ears for about 2 minutes.

Two weeks later I get my new ear buds and go on my way. Of course, by the next day even those are not staying in correctly. So I go to my next follow-up appointment that was two weeks later and we order a second set of custom ear buds that have a little "foot" that sticks out of my ear and helps hold them in place. Apparently all ear canals move with jaw movements but some people tend to have more movement than others. (I chose to believe it isn't because I'm flapping my jaw more than others and that I just have a stronger movement. HA!)

About a week after getting these ear buds I'm sitting at home and I got this ridiculous pain in my left ear and take out my hearing aid. I tried to put it back in and it hurt so bad I got tears in my eyes. Of course I can't get an appointment thanks to the holiday weekend until the end of the following week (today). So I don't wear my hearing aids for the rest of the week and go in to get checked out by the audiologist and end up getting squeezed in to see the ear, nose and throat doctor for a second appointment as my audiologist doesn't know what is in my ear. (The same doctor we almost had to take Rory to see - but thankfully she's been ear infection free for 4 weeks!) He takes a look and pokes at it - and yes, it hurts still! -then he tells my audiologist, who is in the room with us, some medical jargon that was way over my head. Thankfully they dumbed it down for me; either I have a blister that popped, or even sexier, a pimple that ruptured in my ear canal.

So now the hearing aid has to stay out of that ear until the pain is gone and then I have to go back to see the audiologist for yet another fitting and also do yet another screechy hearing test to make sure there isn't any unwanted feedback. But on the upside - I met the ear, nose and throat doctor, so now we're pals if I have to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment