Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Don't let their cute little faces fool you, these two are out to get me.

I swear their goal is to make sure Mama does not get one single stinking night of consecutive sleep while Daddy is gone! Sunday night we got home late and the naps that the kids got were really subpar since we were at the zoo. Max slept fine but Rory made noises all night long. (She does this when she is under slept so I wasn't too surprised.) What did surprise me was that she was up before 5am on Monday morning!

OK, one bad night. Monday night Rory develops a cough around 9pm and I go in there to see that her coughing has caused her to spit-up - and there are food chunks too! So by the time I get her cleaned up and changed, her bed cleaned up and place her back into bed it's already 10pm. Then I sit up by her room to make sure that she isn't sick and going to throw up (she didn't) and finally crawl into bed a little before 11pm only to have Rory up AGAIN before 5am. What's up with that?!

So yesterday I got this brilliant idea:

If you can't figure that out, I have taped two diaper boxes to Rory's windows. We already have blackout blinds in all the bedrooms but we don't have curtains to cover the side cracks and I have a feeling with the sun rising so early right now she is waking up to that. (I have to sleep with an eye mask so I'm pretty sure she gets this issue from me.) So I figure this should take care of Rory and I'll get to sleep until 6am. Nope, wrong again. A little after midnight I wake up to Max crying.

I go into his bedroom but instead of him reaching out to me, he is just laying there crying. So I move closer thinking he'll see me and then jump up to be held. I get right up to the crib and he continues to lay there and cry. Then it dawns on me, Max is sleep crying! (He definitely gets this issue from his dad!) I start to stroke his back but he whines a "no" at me and swats at my hand. So I stand there looking down at him in the crib all confused; I'm not going to be able to go to sleep with him crying! I make a second attempt and start to stroke his head around his ear. This works! He slowly stops crying and starts snoring. So once again I crawl back into bed and thankfully, wake up on my own a little before 6am. (The cardboard has worked!)

Now... what will tonight bring?

1 comment:

  1. Seriously hoping you get some sleep soon. Dealing with temper tantrums on no sleep is a thousand times more difficult than when you are refreshed and rested.

    ReplyDelete