Thursday, June 10, 2010

I came to the realization that Max has started having temper tantrums very, very slowly. He's been getting more and more difficult over the past few weeks and there have just been too many convenient excuses nearby.

His top eye teeth have popped through but the bottom two have not even though he has had two huge swollen lumps where they obviously are working their way out. I still believe this is the reason he's been screaming shortly after we put him to bed. If we give him some medicine, he'll only cry or whimper but if we don't give him medicine he'll be screaming within 10 minutes of laying down. Max is a very active guy and I think the pain doesn't really get to him most of the day, just when he's quietly laying down. So that has been a convenient excuse to use when he's been difficult.

Plus, with summer, we've had the occasional late bedtimes and it's easy to use this for an excuse too. Tuesday evening he's just a ball of tears and screams? Well he was up late all weekend while we were at the lake. Thursday morning he's impossible to get dressed and out the door? Well he did have a rough time getting to sleep last night.

So yeah, obviously it's finally hit me that these are just excuses to the real issue. He's two, he's going to start expressing his likes and dislikes and he's going to start establishing his independence. Where does that leave me? Reading all over the internet on what I should and shouldn't be doing.

I thought I was prepared for this, I mean I've already done a lot of research preparing for this but somehow I'm completely blown out of the water that he is really just throwing a bunch of temper tantrums. Oh the joys! I miss my old Max man, easy going, always the charmer; but I have to admit, I'm pretty excited to see where this new one takes me - a little scared too.

If you have any helpful tips I'd appreciate them. I mean, I am new at this and anything would be appreciated!

No comments:

Post a Comment