Monday, March 26, 2012

Yesterday Dusty and I braved the cold and took the kids fishing in the boat. It was a pretty uneventful but memorable time!



To start, we pulled out onto the lake and had just got the kid's lines in the water when a DNR boat approached us. In all my years of owning a fishing license I have never been stopped by the DNR. So while it was a pretty routine stop, of course we had enough life jackets and our licenses, it was still pretty exciting to finally have that experience.



After about an hour and a half Dusty decided we had been cold enough and wanted to head back home. We hadn't even had one bite let alone seen any fish. Max was not happy and insisted we try one more spot. As soon as we moved over Dusty saw a big fish jump. Moments later he had a bite!



The problem? Dusty only had a 2 lb. line and it was running out quick! So I had to figure out how to start and drive the boat so we could chase that fish around and land it. (Yes, I've never driven our boat, it's just not my thing.) Dusty's calling out commands (Forward, slow down, backward, STOP!, forward, forward, point the boat towards the wind...) it's a good thing we know how to communicate in a crisis or that could have been ugly!

When the boat finally got close we were able to see that Dusty had snagged a Carp in it's tail. What are the odds?


After a few attempts we finally got the fish in the boat for a photo. The kids had fun touching the fish, I kept my mittens on because those fish are really slimy, and after our photo op we threw him back into the lake for someone else to snag.


As to the kids and my faces, well lets just say I won't be taking any pictures later today to prevent incriminating evidence. That wind and sun sure did more damage then I was prepared for!

No comments:

Post a Comment