Monday, May 10, 2010

This blog is for my cousin Jean. She has decided to take on gardening and also is looking for landscaping ideas and was bugging me to post some pictures of our recent landscape changes and also the garden.

As I stated a while ago, we removed the woodchips around our house and put in rock. We moved the woodchips to a larger garden that Dusty will be slowly working on filling with perennials. Here Dusty is mowing are yard - you have to look way in the back too see him, and a quick view of the partial garden. (I couldn't get a good view from our little deck and it was too cold to go outside - it snowed later that night!)


Here's a view of the rock around our patio. I absolutely love it and I'm so happy we moved the woodchips that would just blow around too easily with the wind bouncing off the patio. We also have a grill and swing on the patio but you can't see them as they are tucked around the side.


Lastly, here is the start of our ginormous garden. The posts are up but we have to put a fence around it still. And yes, Dusty is mowing on by. Don't mind all the weeds, we aren't going to worry about putting down grass seed until after we put in the pull barn and playset this summer, maybe next year we'll work on that!


Nothing is planted in the garden yet, we'll start that in a few weeks after the weather cooperates. Just a side note, Dusty's family owns/runs a greenhouse so he has lots of experience with gardening and refused to let me have a nice little one. Plus, the garden is being shared between Dusty and I along with my sister Andrea and her boyfriend Chris who live behind us. So at least there will be some help with the weeding!

6 comments:

  1. I love it!!! You are awesome to post some pictures for me. Now I can imagine exactly what you are referring to when you talk about your gardening and landscaping. And I must admit, I am totally and absolutely jealous of your enormous garden!!! Mine is a small 4x8 garden, but I have plan to add on to it next year provided this year goes well. Again, thanks for posting!! I can't wait to follow your progress with your garden. And since Dusty is an expert I may be calling on him for advice as I venture into my first year of gardening. Actually, I do have my first question already.... do I need to spray for bugs? I found several ants in the garden the other day. Will they kill my veggies? What should I use to get rid of them? Or do I just leave them be?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't usually spray our plants. The bugs shouldn't harm your veggies, but small animals can so make sure you protect from rabbits, gophers, deer or whatever else runs rampant in Atlanta. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm visiting from Jean's blog! I love your garden and I think it may even be bigger than my giant! We live in Eastern WI (near lake Michigan) so I too haven't planted anything yet in the ground yet. My greenhouse is still full of plants just waiting for warmer weather. We had 2" of rain in the last 3 days but today the sun is shining. Yay for sunshine! I was hoping to finish garden prep this weekend and plant sometime next week. Hopefully things dry out a little by then.

    I started Garden Club Monday at my blog and would love it if you joined. Every Monday I post photos and overall progress of my garden and anyone else who wants to join can do the same and I'll post all of the links on my blog. No pressure, but it is a lot of fun to see what everyone else is growing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean's blog sent me over. I would love to have a huge garden like that. You are so lucky. Your back patio with the rocks looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's going to be a wonderful garden!! I hopped on over from Jean's blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow Jean is popular!

    i just ahve to ask, isnt it a pole barn? not a pull barn?

    ReplyDelete