Saturday, March 13, 2010

We are on attempt #4 of potty training and I think we are committed this time. Of course, Max could always throw me another curve ball but I'm feeling pretty confident that we are on the right course and that no illnesses will suddenly appear tomorrow. We had 6 accidents today, 4 of which happened within 15 minutes of coming off the potty, which was really mind boggling, but we also had 2.5 successes so I'll take that and be happy. (I count one as only a half because he peed on the floor in front of his potty.)

I'm still very confused as to what is the normal amount of time to have him sit on his potty. We don't have the problem where Max doesn't like to sit on it, we have the problem that he'll sit there for over an hour before he finally goes. Yes, you heard me right, I had Max sitting on the potty for over an hour. He likes sitting in the bathroom and getting all the attention. If he gets upset, I try to defuse the situation or let him get up and walk around the bathroom for a while and he'd eventually return to sitting down on his own. Two times I eventually made him get up and put his underwear on only to have him have an accident shortly after - so I don't know if I should just have him sit there as long as he is happy or if I am doing it right. Accidents aren't a big deal, I know he is learning and to expect them, I just wish I knew how long he should be sitting for so as to not hinder his progress.

I guess we'll see what tomorrow brings. Any advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment