Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My photo project is done! Finally!



I found the layout and instructions while perusing Pinterest.com, you know, one of my favorite pastimes. Seriously? I find so many things not only to drool over but to do. I've been wanting to use my own portraits on our walls but it's not cheap to frame photos and I don't have the imagination necessary to just throw photos up on a wall. So when Pinterest took me to Tales from the Crib's blog post I knew I wanted to try it.

A couple things I'd suggest if you do this:

  • Make sure your project manager (Cecil) actually project manages so you don't accidentally make a duplicate of one sized foam board and complete forget another. Seriously...so frustrating when you are done painting to only discover you have to cut and paint another piece and everything has been put away!
  • I used oil free paint instead of using a cloth cover. Seriously, I would never have been able to wrap the boards tight enough to my liking, I just know myself and the painting worked out great.
  • Have a couple sharp razor blades nearby or be ready to have to sand a lot of edges. (This is touched on in the post.)
  • We measured out the boards and then ran into issues later where the photos didn't exactly match up with the boards. There is some overhang and some under-hang. It isn't obvious, but if I did it again I think I'd find a way to safely trace the images on the foam before cutting instead.
  • We used the 3M Command Interlocking Fastners. (You know, their removable sticky things so the paint doesn't come off the wall.) I thought it'd be easier for getting the photos up on the wall since it is foam board. I'm now terrified it won't remain sticky to the foam and I really don't like that it makes the photos sit out about an eighth of an inch from the wall. I'd suggest finding a different way to hang them. 
  • Lastly, and also mentioned in the first post, order from a good printing place. I usually order my prints from Snapfish.com but the larger prints are sent rolled up and it can make the photos wavy and they also didn't have the sizes I needed for this project. So I ordered from Mpix.com and I cannot compliment them enough! The photos were mailed completely flat and the amount of care that went into their shipping impressed me immensely. I'll still order from Snapfish for my smaller photos but I think the extra cost for the better shipping of larger photos makes Mpix my new favorite.
You guys, I am in love with my wall. The lighting is horrible for actually showing how cool it looks, since the two windows letting in natural light are on the same wall, so bear with me on that. Also? It's huge, and really fills the room nicely.


(That window is flush with the ground outside. While I don't allow my children to play in the windowsill usually, it worked well for showing the size and if they were to fall out, they'd literally roll onto the ground. No need to call Child Protective Services!)

1 comment:

  1. IT.LOOKS.AMAZING!!! Great job! Now can you come to my house and do the same?! Pretty please!! I love the layout, the photos you chose and of course the entire look. Nice job cuz!

    ReplyDelete