Tuesday, September 21, 2010

So as mentioned yesterday, I threw out my back. Yes, I know I'm only 27. No, I have no idea why my body thinks it is 80. I can only tell you it was a traumatic experience that is amplified by the fear that this could happen again at any time now.

It was Saturday evening, the night before the big party, and I had put Max and Rory into the tub while Dusty ran some errands in town. Max was playing around and accidentally smashed his teeth against the bottom of the tub. (He was pretending to be a fish and threw his head into the water too far. Pretty impressive that he sticks his whole face in, hopefully he'll continue to do it now.) I swooped in to pick him up and console him and ended up getting a shooting pain in my back while lifting him. Long story short, I ended up laying on the bathroom floor unable to lift myself back up as I would start to black out from what I can only assume was the pain. (I don't really remember the pain, I mean, I was in pain on the floor but I don't think my head actually registered more pain as I'd attempt to sit up, I think it just reacted by making me nauseous and everything would start to go fuzzy and I ended up just laying on the floor.) I tried to call a couple neighbors but no one was home and then called Dusty and told him he had to cut his shopping short and come home because the kids were in the tub and I was unable to get them out.

It was a rough night as I had so many things I had planned to do and ended up laying on the couch having Dusty apply and remove ice every 20 minutes. Thankfully I was able to move on Sunday and help around the house. I have great family that showed up early to help with setup and stayed late to help with take down. I'm slowly recovering, and that's the story.

In more exciting news, we brought Rory in for her 1 year checkup! Her stats:
Weight: 25 lbs - 95% (Max weighs 29 lbs so he is still bigger surprisingly!)
Height: 2' 6" - 74%
Head Circumference: 19" - 98% (She's going to be a smart cookie!)

She had to get a blood draw from her arm which is a new thing. They are now testing all babies for lead since the China paint fiasco which requires a blood draw as opposed to the traditional finger prick. I couldn't handle that and sat in a chair keeping Max calm while Dusty did the leg work of pinning Rory. Based on Dusty's face, it was pretty traumatic. They tried to locate a good vein and then it went really slowly and they actually cut her off early and had to check to make sure the amount of blood they had would work. Thankfully, we got the all clear on that and were able to leave.

Here's my baby girl with her bandage from the blood draw. Tell me this doesn't make you cringe!



She was all smiles at dinner at Acapulco's though, so the trauma didn't last long. Also, she got to move to a forward facing car seat and the best part about that?! No more fighting to go into the car. She's quite content facing forward and getting to see everything Max points out now!

1 comment:

  1. Rory is a big girl! I think Amelia was only about 23 lbs at her 2 year! But she is only in the 10th percentile. Is it surprising since you and Dusty aren't big people?

    ReplyDelete