Monday, April 26, 2010

Dusty and I got our weekend away. He insisted I couldn't call it a staycation since we left the state. (Yeah, we went to Minnesota, a whopping 15 minute drive to the border from our house. He's such a dork!) The week leading up to it and then the weekend was, well, for lack of a better word at this moment, I'll say full of irony.

To start, Monday I got my hair done and my eyebrows waxed only to hate the color and then spend so much time thinking about it I wasn't paying attention to the woman waxing my eyebrows and she made them way thinner than I've ever had them. They aren't pencil thin, so I can't complain too much, but by Tuesday my eyebrows were surrounded by a major break out. Yeah, so much for trying to look cute for my husband on our weekend away.

Thursday Dusty's car started to leak coolant and on Friday Dusty was about 10 miles from home in the truck when he lost power steering and his breaks stopped working. I came home to him exasperated and also feeling ill. We quickly loaded the kids up and shipped them off to my parent's house where we left them with the van and used my mom's car. Now my mom loves her car, Dusty on the other hand, hates that he can't ever sit comfortably in it. My mom has a Ford Mustang convertible. I believe it is a GT too but I'm not really into cars so I can't be positive. It would have been nice to have the convertible had the forecast not called for rain all weekend, as we would have had a bit more head room with the top down. Instead Dusty was crammed in and I was forced to do most of the driving. Either way, it was nice of them to let us trade cars since I had promised them the van and we no longer had another car to get us around.

We were determined to do something Friday night, even if it was just to get dinner and then go to bed early. So we stopped at General Sam's which we know we like and the service is usually really fast. (Plus, Andrea was working so we could stop and see her too.) Well the service was horrible, the worst we had ever seen. It took us forever to get out of there but we didn't leave without a $10 gift certificate for our troubles, so at least we know General Sam's cares about our patronage when they are short staffed! I'd still recommend them. We returned home to crash and slept for almost 11 hours! Yeah, we needed it after our horrendous week.

We woke up and were determined not to do anything around the house. So we ended up leaving around 10:30am. Yup, we had to leave the house to prevent ourselves from doing anything. We did some shopping on our way to our hotel which was fun. We stopped for lunch in Woodbury and to our dismay were seated in what we can only assume was the family section. So here we are, childless and I am enjoying my 2 for 1 Sangrias and Dusty his beer while surrounded by children crying, laughing, talking, and screaming. Dusty just looks at me and says "is this a sign?" We finished lunch, checked into our hotel and then went to MOA to shop. We ended up spending so much time there we didn't have enough time to return to the hotel so I could change and dress up for our dinner date. Yet another chance to look good for my husband and have it fall through. So we checked into the comedy club only to find out that the comedian we were supposed to see ended up falling ill so there was a sub instead. We did get complimentary tickets to go back before July in exchange, which was nice, but it just summed up our weekend away, not quite up to our expectations.

But here's the thing, Dusty and I laughed the whole time. Some people would have let all of this just get them down and put them in a horrific mood. Dusty and I were so happy and excited to just have some time to just the two of us that it didn't matter. When we realized that we were cutting it too close for a return trip to the hotel we decided to go on a rollercoaster at the mall's theme park instead. If you know Dusty, you know he gets motion sick, so the fact that he was all for going on the rollercoaster with me just shows how much he still cares. And I was so excited to get to go on my first rollercoaster in over 2 years with him. It was great! I'm so glad I married a man that I can laugh with at the worst of times. I hope we can always be that way.

So that was the end to our ironic week and weekend. Sunday we left the hotel, stopped to pick up a 4th vehicle for Dusty. He worked on cars and I cleaned the whole house from top to bottom. But you know what, it was nice for us to get our alone time too. I mean, it isn't often we are childless for a whole weekend and don't already have a ton of plans in place, so I know we both benefited from being alone also and getting the things done that we wanted to get done. And that is also why I know I married the right man, he and I respect our needs for independence just as much as we understand our desires for quality couple time.

OK, I'm done with the sappy stuff. Just don't let it be known that I never said I love my husband on my blog, because I certainly do!

No comments:

Post a Comment