Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Yesterday was our first day back, since Christmas, to the swing of things. The kids, Dusty and I were all feeling better and finally on the mend from the viruses that took us out for the last two weeks. It was going to be a great day!

And then I hyper-extended my driver side door in the van.

Go ahead, laugh. If you're like me, you're envisioning me backing up with my door wide open into a shopping cart corral.

The true story isn't as entertaining. I had put the van in park (or so I thought), left my door open and walked up to my mother-in-law's door to drop off something. As soon as I knocked at the door I heard a crunching sound and turned around to see my van moving backwards.

The scary part here is that Rory was in the van and it was rolling towards a garage! Thankfully, I had left my door open and it caught the snowdrift on the side of the driveway. The door hyper-extended and then got wedged into the snow bank, stopping the van from rolling more than a foot.

My guess is that I never put the van fully into park. When I got out of the van I walked behind it on my way to the house, I would have noticed it moving then if it was as it would have hit me, so it must have snapped back into gear and started rolling about the time I heard the crunching noise. So a bigger crisis was averted since I left my door open. Yes, the van door will need to be replaced and an insurance claim is filed. But my daughter is safe, the garage was not crashed into, and thanks to amazing family and friends the nuisance of not having a car for the week is a non-issue.

Also? I have to tell you, my insurance agent with Keister and Keister Agency, was a God send. My door could not be closed. I worked at it for a good 20 minutes and then called our agent to find out about getting a tow truck since I wasn't going to drive with my door open and Rory in the van. My agent, Bryan, offered to drive out to me and see if he could close it. And when he couldn't? He offered to drive my van with the door open to the auto body shop, and let me load Rory into his truck and drive us there that way. Yes, that really did happen, he was amazing!

To be honest, I couldn't stop laughing throughout the whole hour of the ordeal. I mean, I couldn't stop thinking everyone is going to envision me backing up with my door open into a shopping cart corral and I was just so relieved that it wasn't worse and everyone was fine.

The moral of this story? If you need a new agent, I highly recommend Keister and Keister Agency.

No comments:

Post a Comment