Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I think it's time to write the potty training update, because I've really been putting this one off. The week I focused almost solely on Rory and her potty training? We ended up stopping. It was getting just too stressful for me and in turn, too stressful for her. Whoever said potty training in the summer would be easier must have loved sitting home all day because I find it nearly impossible to potty train her without driving myself crazy with boredom from sitting around when it's summer and gorgeous! (For the record, this extremely humid weather does not bother me nearly as much as most people, I'd take this over being cold almost any day.)

I had big plans to attempt to potty train Rory the first week we were at the lake before the 4th of July, giving us a few weeks break from our first attempt but lo and behold, I forgot the potty chair.

So we started again after we returned home and got situated. I don't remember the exact date but it was at some point midweek of our return. I've taken a much more lowkey approach this second time around. We remove the diaper when we're in the house and staying inside for a while and encourage her to use the potty if she needs to go but rarely make her sit on it just because. So far this had led to one or two successful potties every 3 or 4 days. Otherwise? We either didn't stay home to attempt it, Rory didn't go during that time, or she had an accident instead of making it into the potty.

In hindsight I wish I would have tried this in the spring when we were inside more. But it's OK. Rory is getting experience using the potty, she can go at her own pace, and I'm not driving myself insane sitting around hoping she'll make it into the potty. I mean, she isn't even 2 yet and she's at times making it to the potty. So I'm happy.

As for Max, he's always encouraging Rory to go potty and has even been seen to help her take her diaper off to sit down. Then he'll be heard telling her, "Squeeze the poop out, Rory!" (Which is not something Dusty or I have ever said to either of our kids.) You see, we believe in the good old candy rewards for successful potties. And Max and Mama also get a piece of candy to "celebrate" with Rory. So that boy is always working Rory to get him his candy. Thankfully, she doesn't seem to mind his encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment