Friday, October 26, 2012

Max did really well for the surgery. Daddy wasn't able to join us so we picked up Grandma on our way and I think having that distraction helped immensely in the morning as I focused on going to Grandma's more than on the surgery. Once we got there, the boy was cooperative and I feel as though he knew it was happening and wanted to just get it over with. How stinking cute is he in his little gown?


I was able to go back with him to his operating room and stay with him until he fell asleep. In order to do this I had to wear some special clothes too. Yes, we make a good looking team!


It was really quick getting him to sleep. Max was put on the bed but he was too nervous to lay down so they let him just sit right there on the bed. He had a few questions about the room, specifically the needles he saw and the anesthesiologist was quick with his answer that there would be no shots here. I had previously spoken with the anesthesiologist warning him how bad Max's anxiety was and our recent history so he was well prepared. Than Max smelled a couple chapsticks, picked the sent he liked, and it was smeared all inside of his face mask before it was put on. Within a minute he was swaying and we laid him down on the bed. They pulled the mask away and his head just lulled over to one side and he had the goofiest grin on his face and his eyes were still partially open. It was such a funny thing to see that I had no problem smooching his cheek and leaving him, in fact, I left laughing.

The surgery was done quickly and about 40 minutes later we were being called into recovery. Max was being moved into there at the same time as we were and I saw two nurses struggling to hold him as he's kicking and screaming in their arms. I hear one nurse telling him, "No, we don't kick here." and I see Max kicking harder and I just smirk. I warned them what he'd be like once he was woken up and I was right. He was quickly placed into my arms on a chair where he continued to flail about and complain that he couldn't breath but eventually we were able to calm him down enough to help him fall back asleep. The anesthesia was still wearing out of his body so sleep was the best thing to do for that time. The anesthesiologist stopped in and gave me the biggest smile while saying, "You were right, he's a little pistol!" I think that may be my new favorite nickname for him, my little pistol!


Max's throat was sore already and he was not cooperating with us. He didn't want to take in any liquids, he didn't want to swallow his medicine, he just didn't want to do anything that involved his mouth and in order to leave, he needed to. I had anticipated there being some issues and came prepared. Rory and I went shopping together and she helped me pick out a present for Max. I brought this present with us, wrapped, as a sort of incentive for him to be good. And it worked! He finally started to cooperate, if only vaguely, and after partially cooperating he was able to open his present and get dressed to leave. Look at him showing off his new Spiderman to Grandma!


And yes, having Grandma there was really good. Two people to dote all over you after surgery? Well that is way better than having one!


Since getting home Max has had some ups and downs. When the medicine kicks in, he has his appetite and is eating, even wanting to eat things his throat can't handle right now. When the medicine wears off things get a bit rough and right now it's rough for about an hour and a half. So today we'll continue to lounge on the couch and watch movies. GG sent over a huge pile of VHS movies and Max has been working his way through them.


By the end of today there may be no unseen movies left! OK, I have a boy to snuggle and movies to watch. I don't expect we'll leave the couch much this weekend, in fact, I don't think I'll be out of my pajamas much this weekend. You are encouraged to be jealous!

No comments:

Post a Comment