Saturday, November 21, 2009


Rory's healthier, that's good news. Of course, I still feel like she is falling apart! I remember going in for Max's well visits and having a list of questions and leaving feeling reassured and a little embarrassed by some of the obvious answers. (Of course, also frustrated that there wasn't a cure for colic!) I certainly don't feel that way after this last one for Rory. Let's start with the growth and then work our way down to the more frustrating parts.

Rory is 22.5" long which puts her at 57% for her age and she weighs 12.5 lbs which puts her at 88% for her age. I was shocked at this since the reason we have to put her in 3 month clothes already is that her arms and legs are too long for the 0-3 months. She doesn't fill the clothes out and a lot of them are baggy on her in the stomach; I'm guessing all that weight is in her legs since she has got some strong legs already!

One of the most obvious concerns we had were her ears. She still has her ear infections, they aren't as bad but they are still there even after being on her meds for 5 days which stinks! She will continue the meds for another 5 days so hopefully that will clear it all up. The good news was that she still had clear lungs and her coughing has gone done significantly over the last week.

I also discussed with the doctor one of the concerns we had at her 2 week check up, her head is always turned to the left. We assumed she must have been that way while in my belly and that she would eventually stretch her neck to the right but she really hasn't over these last 2 months. After Rory got her ear infections I started to consider taking her to a chiropractor and with her head always being turned to the left I told our doctor that I planned to do that for both issues. Our doctor isn't fond of a chiropractor working on an infant, and she wasn't when we took Max to one for his colic, but I'd like to give it a try to see if it helps. The doctor wants me to take Rory to a physical therapist and gave me a referral for that. I think we'll probably end up doing both so that Rory can get all the help she needs to get this fixed as it can lead to a much more serious condition. Of course, we may decide to only do one or the other depending how we feel the outcomes go, but I think we'll at least try them both out.

Lastly, Rory has had a diaper rash for over 3 weeks now. It isn't terribly bad, but it just won't go away and I had the doctor look at that. I guess her body is reacting to her medicine and she has developed an infection so I had to pick up an over the counter fungal cream. While it sounds really gross, I am pleasantly surprised with the results. After one diaper change most of the rash is already gone!

So my little girl isn't 100% healthy but she is doing a lot better than she was even a week ago - its good news, not bad. And just for the record, as much as this all sucks, colic is WAY worse so she's still the better infant!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashley! I just read your post and wanted to let you know that we went through the same thing with Ryan and his neck. It's called torticolios (sp?) and it means one side of the neck is tighter than the other and it's difficult for them to turn it. Ryan went to physical therapy for several months and it worked it's way out and he has full range of motion and totally fine now. The PT will give you exercises to do to work with her at home to help strenghten the muscle. Painless and easy! Hope that helps some - I know we were scared and frustrated when we received all that news too so it's nice to know someone who has been through it with great results.

    ReplyDelete