Friday, August 17, 2012

While we were at the cabin, Max officially learned to swim. He'd been getting better at it throughout the summer. First he started diving down to the bottom of the water, thrashing his feet around above and coming up oh so happily with sand in his hands. Then he progressed to swimming under water. Now mind you, he doesn't get far, but he was able to kick and paddle under the water long enough to actually move forward a bit. I was pretty ecstatic with this skill and thought we'd seen the end of his swimming progression for this year as keeping his head and chest above water seemed to be too tough for him yet.

The last day at the cabin? Max started freaking out at me to watch, that he was swimming. My kid asking for attention and telling me he is doing something he's never done before? Pretty common. So I didn't think I'd see much but for him to swim underwater yet again.

Also? In case you aren't aware. I am a pretty decent swimmer. I competed in both junior high and high school. I love swimming and always have. Hence going to the beach at least once a week in the summer.

So when Max started actually doing a doggy paddle that had his head above water and him also moving forward? Yeah, I may have jumped up and down clapping and laughing and just making a way bigger deal than may have been necessary. I am just so excited that my 4 year old is swimming, all our water time has paid off. Next year? We'll race!

No comments:

Post a Comment