Tuesday, May 1, 2012

I did something today that I haven't done in a couple months. I spent money I shouldn't have spent, and I just don't care. I made a couple car lunches for the kids, picked up Max from school, and we headed to the zoo. Completely and totally unplanned until about an hour before we left. I was spontaneous people! And the kids enjoyed every minute of it too.


Max and Rory checking out the map before we start out tour, finding where we are and where we'll plan to go.


My son, the one who has not been a big fan of smiling for photos, climbs up on this turtle and turns to me with the biggest smile I've captured in a while. I love that turtle!


And Rory wasn't about to let her brother get away with climbing up there without her!


We finally got to see the wolf up close. And by up close I mean he was standing there on the other side of the fence checking everyone out. I was very impressed and the kids were having fun taunting him by howling. It sounds terribly mean and I hate admitting it, but what kid doesn't mimic the animal noises they know?


I asked the kids to give me a silly face. Silly faces are apparently scrunched up nose faces in their books. Someone come over and teach them some real silly faces please?



So the kicker was the very end. You see, Dusty and I are on a strict budget right now. We made a couple big purchases recently and we have Uncle Randy and Ashley's wedding coming up which is going to be a bit expensive with showers/bachelorette/bachelor parties let alone the fact that Dusty, Max, and Rory are all in the wedding. So we're not in the poor house or anything, just trying to be financial responsible. Which means spontaneity and frivolous purchases have been cut.

So when the kids saw the carousel at the zoo they wanted to ride it. I explained that I didn't bring any money and the kids proceeded to sit on a bench to watch it go around. We sat for five minutes people and when I asked my kids if they wanted to go to the car they still wanted to sit and wait for it to go. My poor heart, I couldn't stand it, so I walked over and found out they would take my charge card for the $4.50 it would cost for us to ride, we bought our tickets and got in line.


Do you see those faces?! They were ecstatic on the ride.


I may have started to tear up a bit in the beginning seeing their joy at such a small thing. So yes, I may regret spending the $4.50 a little, because I'm a rule follower and all, but it was still totally worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment